Our definition of balance varies from each and everyone. Some use quality time with loved ones as their ultimate barometer for having life balance. While for others, it could be how fast they climb the corporate ladder, or the number of countries they’ve been to in their lifetime, or simply if they can workout 5 times a week. And we do not judge as to how different our personal definition of balance can be, because then again, we are all unique and are at different life stages. The more important thing is for us to know how to get to a more balanced and meaningful life.
I’m sharing with you a more generic guideline which I live by. My life is by no means perfectly balanced (and I strongly believe that there is beauty in imperfection), but I gladly embrace this journey. Because after all, life is a continuous flow of self discovery and a daily miracle, that gives us the chance to take action for our selves.
So here are my 5 simple ways to achieve life balance:
1. Make a choice. – As in all things, it starts with making that conscious choice that we want to achieve balance in our lives, otherwise it only stays as an idea.
2. Know what your key priorities in life are. – Know what makes you truly happy. Is it traveling? Is it going to the gym 5 times a week? Is it spending time with your loved ones everyday? Or Is it running your own successful business or being ahead in the corporate ladder? There could be so many different things that can make us happy. But realistically, we cannot have them all. Neither can we do all of them together at once because of our limitedness. Hence, we choose what our non negotiables are, the top things we cannot live without, those which truly add value in our lives.
3. Take ownership of your time. – When your priorities in life are clear, it is easier to navigate through life. It is easier to make daily schedules and life choices, because we have a clear reference point on where our life should be geared towards. Bottomline and as a guiding principle, our time should be spent largely and with most quality, on what we have defined as our non negotiables.
4. Make peace with your choices. – Let go of the what if’s and the should’ve, would’ve, could’ves of the world. There are less important things we sometimes need to let go of, so we can give more time for what truly matters to us. And we live with these choices.
5. Recognize and accept that it’s a journey. – There are good days, and there will be bad days. There are days where in we have to spend 12 hours at work, sacrifice traveling for an equally important passion, or even give up running the marathon altogether. But it doesn’t mean life sucks, or we’ve lost it completely. We have to remember that life is a journey, and so is finding balance. We have to embrace even the tough days, because these hard moments define the truth in our choices. They validate the importance of our priorities in life. And most importantly, they remind us to keep fighting for the people and things that truly matter to us.
Hope you find this article helpful. And truly hoping that like me, you’ll find this journey just as meaningful.
Since I’m a Libra (I was born in October), the balancing scales coincidentally also happen to be our Zodiac symbol. Hence, the strong inclination to always seek balance in my life.